Friday, June 15, 2007

Well, blow me down with a feather...

Run - 1km warmup
8.5km tempo (00:48:56)
1km warmdown

... I can run faster after all! I was feeling rather down about the speeds of most of my training runs, it felt like I was running my hardest and still plodding along slower than I was a few months ago. And so, I went out there today with something to prove! I originally planned on a tempo run across my usual 6k Story Bridge - Goodwill Bridge loop, but figured since I'm trying to focus on the half marathon distance I should go further. And I did. 8.5km in fact.

Don't get me wrong, it was damn hard, and a far cry from the comfortable pace I did last week during that 20km with Lis. But the thing is, at least now I know I can do it. I can maintain a faster pace across a distance, though it remains to be seen just how long I can hold onto that pace. I'd love to do the half in 2 hours or under, but that would mean running even faster than I did today, and in reality I just don't think I'm capable of that. I guess we'll see. Adrenaline works wonders, but exactly how much magic it can work on my legs during the race is subject to limitations. Ah well, I will be proud of myself just to finish the half, because at least then I have a time to improve upon.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

great pace ... sorry I piked on you this morning. I'm sure you went out anyway. I've been very slack.