Sunday, June 17, 2007

Funny how your legs find their own pace...

Run - 12.8km (01:21:29)

It was beautiful weather for running this morning. Brisk, but not cold, with bright, warm sunshine creating sparkles on the river. Enough of a breeze to cool the sweat on my face but not enough to create a painful headwind. Plenty of other runners and cyclists about to give me a friendly nod or cheery "Morning!". I went out with no particular plan other than to just run as far as I felt like running in whatever direction took my fancy.

With the Gold Coast Half Marathon only two weeks away its time to start winding down my training a bit, so my long run today was far short of the 21km I've been doing lately. And y'know, I'm glad it was shorter. I struggled even on the distance I did. Despite my best intentions, my legs had this idea they didn't want to sit at long run pace. Oh no, they wanted to go faster! Perhaps it was a subconscious reaction to my concerns about being too slow for my goal time in the half, or maybe I was just selecting fast songs on my ipod, but either way I constantly had to pull myself up and slow down or risk not even making 10km.

I did feel a few hip niggles on the way back through the cliffs which worried me a bit. I'm going to put it down to my shoes though. With 820km of ground-pounding behind them, they're definitely in need of replacement. I got a good 6 months out of them though, so I'm not too worried about shelling out another $200.

After chowing my way through a huge gluten-free hamburger (and was I ever excited to find a place that makes these!), hot chips and a serve of Cold Rock icecream, I'm glad I ran as long as I did today. Now I don't have to feel like so porky ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.