Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Run - 8.41km - 00:53:57

I decided to run to work for my 5pm personal training client rather than driving today, since taking 40minutes to drive 3.5km isn't exactly my idea of fun. And what do you know but partway there, my phone rings. My client has cancelled. Hmph. Considering the second State of Origin game is on tonight I shouldn't have been surprised, but that wasn't much comfort to me standing on the Story Bridge wondering whether I should just turn around and go home. Well, I figured "What the hell...", I was out there all ready to run, I might as well make the most of it. So, I continued on, and ended up doing my usual Story Bridge - Victoria Bridge loop. And y'know what? I wasn't going fast, but it still felt hard.

Maybe I wasn't fully recovered from my 20km on Sunday, or maybe I was just tired from only getting about 4 hours sleep last night, but either way it was a bit of a plod tonight. Up until Southbank anyway. I got overtaken by a short, chunky, elderly lady that looked like she was more race-walking than running. Well, my ego just wasn't going to take that sort of abuse now was it? I tried to overtake her, but she must have seen me coming up the inside as she sped up too, and we ended up battling it out for about half a kilometre. At the Goodwill Bridge I managed to power past her and kept just in front the rest of the way at a much faster pace than the first half of my run. To that lady, if you're out there, kudos to a worthy opponent, and thankyou! I would never have pushed as hard through that last couple of kilometres if you hadn't been there chasing my tail.

No comments: