Sunday, June 24, 2007

I'm not getting the hang of this "taper" business.

Run - 6.04km (00:36:29)

Today was supposed to be an "easy run" on my usual Story Bridge - Goodwill Bridge 6km loop. And it started out that way, I was holding about a 6:10/km pace fairly comfortably, right up until coming through the Riverside Centre. Then I started getting passed by other runners, they looked like they were running as part of a group. Well, I didn't want to look like a little plodding blob now did I? So I ended up speeding up a bit. Not too much, so that was okay, at least until just after the Goodwill Bridge.

I was obviously feeling reasonably competitive at that point, so when I spotted a group of runners trotting along at a fairly slow pace, I guess I felt the need to redeem myself and reclaim my pride. I sped up some more, and in an effort to catch and pass them, I ended up doing 5:30/km for the last 1-2km of the run. And damn but it was hard! Oops.

Oh well, I will probably only be running a couple of times this week, 6-8km on Tuesday and possibly an easy 5km on Wednesday, then nothing at all until the half on Sunday. I find I run my best with about 3-4 days of complete rest beforehand, so this week is going to be very quiet running-wise. With that in mind, I guess I can forgive myself if I overdid it a little today :).

1 comment:

Sarah said...

We're going to have to lock you inside and throw away the key until Saturday night!!

Oh, I tagged you - go check it out