Saturday, September 15, 2007

Finally, a positive update!

Yes, please don't die of shock or anything, but I've actually got good news to report for once!

I've spend the last two weeks walking like a gumby, and while my legs and glutes have been screaming in protest at this horrible mistreatment, it has paid off. The excessive load has been taken off my knee, which has broken the pain cycle, and during the past week I've been mostly pain-free. I've still had the odd twinge, but where one twinge used to mean I'd spend the rest of the day whimpering and dragging my leg behind me Quasiomodo-style, now it means I limp for a few minutes and then it subsides.

I've also spent the last two weeks doing some horribly uncomfortable neural stretches that make me feel nauseous as I'm doing them, but take any knee twinges away instantly. If you have ever felt a nerve being stretched, you might know what I'm talking about. Not everyone gets it, but y'know that sharp burning and pulling feeling you get behind your knees during a hamstring stretch? That's nerve stretching, and its possibly one of the reasons my knee hasn't improved properly, because I've got a lot of neural tightness down that leg. Either way, like them or not, the neural stretches help so I'll keep on doing them. I do look a bit of a nutcase lying on the ground with my leg in the air, but hey, I've kind of gotten used to the strange looks I get from people when I'm doing those sorts of things at uni. I mean, c'mon, they're IT students... Their only concept of a physical human body is as an inlet for pizza and an outlet for communication with the computer. The thought of using their body for *gasp* running would be an incredibly alien concept to them! But I digress...

Anyway, I'm allowed to work some running in this week. Sort of. Walk for 10mins, do 5 x 30sec run with 1min walking recovery, then walk for the remainder of 30-40mins. Not much, but its a start. I'm alternating between uncontrollable excitement at being able to run, and abject terror at the thought of blowing my knee up again! Guess I just have to get out there and try. Fingers crossed for me everyone!

4 comments:

Blair said...

That's fantastic news. And don't be so quick to stereotype people - I was an IT student last year and I run :-)

Shell said...

That's great news, Nikki!! I wish you all the best on your recovery.

Shell

undercover brother said...

a lot of coolrunners work in the IT industry! - theyve done polls on peoples work before.
fingers crossed!

Anonymous said...

Excellent news.
Errr...you IT student - You runner...!
Goooooo....Nik xxxx