Wednesday, August 29, 2007

An overdue update...

And the MRI results are in...

Let's do the good news first - no structural damage. No meniscal problems, no ligament issues, no major swelling or inflammation. Whew! Now for the bad news - what the MRI showed was consistent with ITBFS, which is what we've been treating all along and what should have been better by now. Damn... It... All... To... Hell... So, it was back to Rich for another cortisone injection and strict instructions to rest my knee as much as is humanly possible. Easier said than done! Yesterday morning was horrendous. Usually the pain doesn't start until afternoon/evening time, after I've been walking around on it all day, but yesterday it was hurting right from when I got up. I saw Dolph after walking to and from uni already that morning, and he said my leg was as bad (tightness and knotted-muscle wise) as the first time he saw me after I did the injury. Wonderful. Talk about being back to square one!

Having to walk to and from uni across the Goodwill Bridge most days with a 10-15kg backpack doesn't exactly fall into the "rest my knee as much as is humanly possible" category, but there's no way around it. I did consider hiring a couple of sherpas, one to carry me and one to carry my backpack, but I think that's a little outside my budget currently. Seeing as that's not an option, Dolph has got me altering my walking style instead because he thinks how I walk is what's irritating the ITB. So, I now have to stick my butt out more and try to land my foot as close underneath my body as possible, rather than my usual "flick the leg out in front" motion. Sounds simple? Not quite. My body isn't particularly happy with me trying to change what its been doing quite comfortably for the past 25 or so years, but hey, if it works I'm not going to complain.

And it does seem to be working. My knee felt okay after walking back from uni yesterday, where usually I would be practically dragging my leg behind me in an effort not to have to bend it. As pessimistic as it sounds, despite this temporary success I'm trying not to get my hopes too high. Right now it feels like I'm never going to be able to run again. I guess we just have to play the waiting game some more.

Awww, the waiting game sucks! Let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos! (--kudos to anyone that gets that reference ;)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

it's been a while since I played hungry hungry hippos ... :) so no kuddos to me.

At least there was good news from the MRI.

Isn't there a bus you can take to uni??? Seems silly when you live so close, but if it can save your knee a bit of walking?

undercover brother said...

even tho it doesnt seem like it thats good news!
yep walking a long way with a pack will aggrivate it!
but it will settle down .... honest.
last played hippos maybe 3 years ago and thats embarrasing.