Friday, July 27, 2007

The definition of frustration...

"A deep chronic sense or state of insecurity and dissatisfaction arising from unresolved problems or unfulfilled needs"

Thankyou Dictionary.com, I couldn't have said it better myself. Well, perhaps I would have used stronger words than "insecurity" or "dissatisfaction"... Maybe something along the lines of "A deep and chronic desire to scream incoherently, tear one's hair out and lay waste to whatever people and/or objects are within the immediate vicinity, arising from unresolved problems or unfulfilled needs". Yes, that sums it up nicely. I would be jumping up and down with said frustration if it didn't hurt my knee so much. Even five minutes on the physio's exercise bike was enough to flare it up badly a week or two ago. But, it is getting much better now, so I should probably stop whining and complaining and get on to the good news.

About a week and a half ago, I had a cortisone injection in my knee. It is certainly not an experience I wish to repeat in the near future. Or the distant future, come to think of it. Try and imagine the sensation of someone stabbing a knife into the nerve that runs down your leg, sending shooting pains from your knee right down to the bones in your toes. Sounds lovely doesn't it? Not that the doctor was sticking a needle into my nerve or anything, it just felt that way. Plus, I was one of the lucky 10% the doctor warned me about that will have a period of 24-48hrs where the pain gets worse before it gets better. Anyone that has experienced the joys of a "steroid flare" will know exactly what I'm talking about. Hooray! I spent that night with the very bones of my leg aching and my knee protesting every movement. Oh wait, more whining... I was supposed to be getting on to the good news wasn't I?

Well, I spoke to my phsyio today, and he's letting me off the leash for two 1-hour walks over the weekend. Well, the second walk is going to be dependent on how my knee feels after the first one, but I'm going to do the mental equivalent of sticking my fingers in my ears and singing "La la la" and pretend that its going to feel fantastic. No chance whatsoever that it might be sore, its going to be strong and pain-free. Positive thinking and all that. Of course, I'd much rather be running, but as someone that hasn't been able to do any exercise for the past four weeks the idea of even walking has me in throes of joyous rapture. Yes, before anyone suggests it I know I could have been swimming, but have you felt the temperature out there lately? Snowflake's chance in hell of me getting into a pool!

Anyway, hopefully my next entry will be much less depressing and may even have a report of me jumping up and down with the joy of feeling good after my walk. Fingers crossed everyone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much prefer your own personal definition of frustration, and the need to mindlessly bash up innocent pillows does come to mind...
Just be careful not to twist the offended knee...otherwise pillow-bashing is great therapy.

Sarah said...

oh dear ... i'm really sorry to hear the knee still isn't better. the steriod injection sounds extremely unpleasant ... and i don't blame you about the pool either - the water may be heated, but getting out at the end would be horrible - maybe an indoor pool like the one at QUT or something?

undercover brother said...

good luck with your itb recovery.
its a bugger of a thing isnt it!!
never known anyone NOT to get completely frustrated with it - including myself.

Anonymous said...

This is the best thing ever!! I live in FLorida where it is hot and humid....I have no air

conditioning in my car so I have to drive with the windows down...I have very curly, thick, and out of control hair...with all these elements it is hard to find something to make my hair stay straight. This

worked...I drove on the highway with my windows down in nice hot humid weather and it is still as perfect as when I straightened it 2 days ago!! Buy this product it is worth the money!!!